This week I got back into the rhythm of working, and continued transferring the old animations to the new character. I started going through them, making any necessary adjustments and improvements, but there were a couple issues that set me back. I started with the aim walks, so I only paid attention to the lower body, but I had to adjust the weight painting on the feet. One of the animations (out of eight) I decided I would have to start from scratch. I noticed a unnatural hip movement, which I thought might have been my fault from adding keys so the feet don’t clip through each other, but I traced back to the earliest version of that animation, and it was still there. It won’t take long to redo, but I didn’t get to it this week. When I took a closer look at the aiming animations, I noticed that the character could not turn his head enough without clipping into his hood. It took a while, but I improved the weighting on it significantly. This required adding joints, which alone gave me more control over the weight painting, but I was able to get it up enough so that the hood can be moved slightly as well. All in all, this was a productive week, but I think I’m going to be working on these animations for a bit longer than I expected.
The best movie I watched this week was Éric Rohmer’s magnificent Perceval le Gallois.
- Transitioning the animations is not causing issues.
- Back to work.
- Getting sidetracked by minor things.
- It’s going to take longer than I thought.