A bit of a strange week, almost completely unproductive but I managed to do something pretty good in the end. At the start of the week, I was trying to fix the rotation issue with the aimwalk blendspace. I spent a good amount of time researching and experimenting on the already existing system, but I was unable to make anything work. I know how it needs to work, but I don’t know enough about blueprints to make it myself. I told Josh, hopefully he gets to it eventually. After that, I did not know what to do next. I asked the team what I could do and got no real responses. I spent the rest of the week working on a side project for my portfolio.
Sunday night at our meeting, some more specific concerns about the rider were brought up, and I had an epiphany on how to fix the issues with the jump. It was way late in the week, but I was able to do it. First, I had to make sure the poses on the idle jump matched each other for transitions. I simplified the middle loop portion to be the single frame between the start and end animations, with some slight added motion. Next, dug up an old running jump clip I had worked on and cut it up the same way. The end had to match the first pose of the running animation instead of the idle. Next I made a blendspace for each stage of the jump. I had assumed I would be able to use the same variable from the idle/run blendspace, but that was based on speed, which includes vertical speed. I had to make a new variable for just the horizontal speed, and somehow I had just enough coding knowledge to do it myself. The blending between them isn’t always perfect, because they are 2 different animations, the blend time works better for one than it does for the other, so I prioritized the running jump, since I think it will be used more often. The idle jump transitions nicely if you start moving in mid air, but the running jump to idle land doesn’t work as well. Anyway here are the results:
Best movie this week was Point Blank (1967)
- Greatly improved the jump animations
- I feel pretty good about my abilities with Unreal’s animation blueprints
- No luck improving the aimwalk system
- Spent most of the week not working on the game